Friday, June 8, 2012

Portrait of an Artist/Sophie Merkens

Hum Salon
6 June - 19 June
123 Grafton Road, Grafton, Auckland


Earlier this year I was approached by an awesome emerging photographer called Sophie Merkens, who told me she was taking panoramic photos of Auckland Artists in their studios and would I mind if she paid me a visit. Of course I said yes and now here we have it an extremely long book of 30 Auckland Artists. Sophie has some of the images on show and 100 limited edition books........, go check it out! 

Sarah Walker-Holt Studio/Sophie Merkens 2012
Sophie is a great photographer, she made me feel extremely at ease as I babbled away to her while she did her stuff. It's amazing how the distortion of taking a panoramic close up, in a small space, makes it look larger than it is. This is the jewellery making area of my studio and behind me, up the steps, is my semi-industrial sewing machine, art books and 2D area with a large table for me to spread out on. In the centre of the image, next to me you can see a ladder which pulls out and leads to a mezzanine that I use for storage. My studio is still a work in progress - getting it set up. It is an awesome space that my husband built especially for me out of predominantly demo materials, he's a gem!

http://www.sophiemerkens.com/

http://www.photographyfestival.org.nz/programme/detail.cfm?exhibition_id=1612&exhibition_date=1 june 2012